We are happy to announce that a mixer will be held for those attending the Northeast Storage EXPO from New Hampshire. NeSSA's Board of Directors have opened up an hour following the opening night reception to allow for attendees of New Hampshire to stay, mingle, and chat with attorney Jeff Greenberger on the MGM Springfield's terrace.
Additionally, members of the New Hampshire Self Storage Association can register to attend the EXPO at NeSSA member rates.
The Northeast Storage EXPO is taking place May 10th and 11th at the MGM in Springfield, MA. The show's two-day agenda and link to register can be found below. If you plan on attending, be sure to book your overnight room at the MGM as the room block's deadline is coming up on April 15th.
See you in Massachusetts!
Tuesday, May 10, 2022
2:00 PM Registration
2:30 PM State of the Market with panelists Dick Bettencourt of MakoRabco, Hans Hardisty of SVN Commercial Real Estate Advisors, Bishesh Shrestha of Live Oak Bank, Jason Taunton-Rigby of Colliers International, and moderated by Connie Neville of SVN Commercial Real Estate Advisors
More than a lot has changed since we last discussed the current state of the northeastern self storage industry. Everything from our financial position to the supply chain has been affected by a worldwide pandemic, and will continue to change and fluctuate with the ongoing events of the world. This panel will cover:
- Supply chain issues and challenges to expansion projects
- Pricing and cap rate expectations
- What buying and selling looks like right now and what those in the market should focus on
- Whether we are seeing more conversion vs. new construction
- Refinancing options for existing operators while keeping rising interest rates in mind
- The future of the market going forward
3:45 PM Break
4:00 PM Creating Digital Synergy to Maximize Online Presence and Customer Reach with Steve Lucas, The Storage Group
Every user varies in their method of online searching, and if you’re not catering to each user type, you’re missing out on new tenants. Successful marketing strategies have mastered the art of combining digital services to maximize ROI. We’ll share the secrets on the various methods of user behavior with the most popular digital marketing forms – PPC, SEO, and Social Media – to effectively enhance your bottom line. Understand the importance of SEO and the impact it has on your website visibility, especially at the time of website launch. Additionally, we’ll share Google’s no-no’s when it comes to penalizing websites and black hat SEO strategies that must be avoided to stay in Google’s good graces. By learning how various search styles can be optimized with the mixed targeting of these services and website, you’ll be able to customize and expand your audience-base online to enhance actualized sales at your facility.
5:00 PM Tradeshow and Reception
Join us in the tradeshow hall and on the terrace for mingling, exhibits, hors d’oeuvres, drinks, and networking.
7:00 PM New Hampshire Mixer
Those attending the EXPO from New Hampshire are invited to attend a mixer after the opening night reception on the MGM terrace.
Wednesday, May 11, 2022
Registration begins at 8:00 AM. Wake up with breakfast and networking before a day of education and conversation. The schedule and education sessions are listed below.
8:00 AM Registration, Tradeshow, and Breakfast
8:30 AM Welcome and Opening Remarks
8:45 AM Roundtables (attend three)
- America's Labor Shortage is Your Problem with Shannon Charbonneau, XPS Solutions
- Late2Lien: The Turnkey Solution to Automating Late End Lien Sale Notices with Jeffrey Greenberger, Greenberger & Brewer, LLP
- Metrics that Matter: How to Benchmark Your Storage Website Performance with Bob Hazlett, OpenTech Alliance
- Self Storage Marketing Toolkit with Tyler Anthony, StoragePug
- Tenant Protection Programs: How to Run Them Successfully, How to Increase Your Income, and How to Avoid Legal Headaches with Chris Betteridge, Deans & Homer
- Unmanned Facilities - Which Online Rental Features Do You Really Need? with Steve Lucas, The Storage Group
- What Rising Cap Rates Could Mean for My Facility's Value with Nathan Coe, Marcus & Millichap
10:00 AM Operating Under Siege with panelists Jennifer Barroqueiro of Storage Asset Management, Damon Emerson of Storage Shield, Charlie Fritts of Storage Investment Management, LLC, and moderated by Steve Tranni of Stor-U-Self
Having experienced multiple recessions, challenging laws, and difficult tenants, hard times are nothing new to self storage owners and managers. But no one could have known that we would live – and work – through a worldwide pandemic. More than a lot has happened during the last two years. Join our panel as we explore how these challenges strengthened our operations. We’ll discuss:
- Why an increase in occupancies resulting in higher rates happened.
- “The Great Resignation” and the staffing issues we’re still seeing, plus what you can do to attract new employees.
- The automation explosion! How has technology and virtual answers helped to sustain your business?
- How the Hub and Spoke concept can save your business time and money.
- What is causing the lag in development and expansion.
- Is there a correction coming to self storage?
11:00 AM Exhibits
12:30 PM Lunch, Exhibits
1:15 PM Auction Drawing and Scholarship Award Presentation
1:30 PM 2021 Was the Best Year Ever – So What’s Next for Self Storage? with Guy Middlebrooks, CubeSmart
Many believe that the storage industry experienced its best year ever in 2021; record high occupancy, increased rent rates, and more. Why did that happen and what should we expect moving forward? CubeSmart’s Senior Vice President of third-party management will delve into these answers and let us know what’s ahead for our industry.
2:30 PM The Four Topics Courtney Wishes You Would Not Call Her About: Bankruptcy, Facility Disasters, Death, and Vehicle Storage with Jeffrey Greenberger, Greenberger & Brewer, LLP
While the NeSSA staff loves to hear from its members, there are four topics that the staff is more than used to hearing about in calls: occupant bankruptcy, how to handle occupants after disaster at the facility, the death of an occupant, and vehicle storage. Our speaker, Jeffrey Greenberger, who is a partner in the law firm of Greenberger & Brewer, has decided to try and tackle all four topics in one keynote presentation. Every operator has run into questions or concerns about at least one of these issues. Stay for our legal keynote to learn how to address these timely and important issues.
3:30 PM Closing Remarks, Adjourn